Brain Health and Ayurveda

Brain Health and Ayurveda

By Vaidya Vishwanath December 02, 2022


Ayurveda means the science (veda) of life (ayu), and it’s one of the most ancient medical systems of human civilization. It’s an upaveda (off-shoot) of Atharvaveda (the science of well-being) and originates from the Veda, the oldest recorded texts of Indian wisdom written approximately 25,000 years ago. Ayurvedic science is based on the fundamental laws of nature and within its repository there is extensive knowledge and therapeutic approach on all diseases including brain health.

The brain is most important part of the nervous system and the most complex organ within the human body. It’s major component is fat, and the average adult brain weighs approximately 3 pounds, of which approximately 60% is fat and the remaining 40% is a combination of water, protein, carbohydrates and salts. The brain consists of a network of blood vessels and nerves which are the command center for the functions of all our organs, tissues, and cells.

Fat is essential for maintaining the integrity for all functions of the brain. A healthy brain is a state in which the function of cognitive, sensory, social-emotional, behavioral, and motor actions is not impaired. Our brains are responsible for every minute of our lives as we are constantly thinking, remembering, planning, organizing, and making decisions. To achieve the highest potential of living a healthy life of 100 years requires a rejuvenating diet and daily dinacharya based on your body type and climate.

As we age, degenerative changes occur in all parts of our bodies including our brains. These degenerative changes occur within each cell and parts of the brain may shrink due to inflammation and decreased blood flow and nutrition. The largest number of brain cells called neurons actually lack the ability to regenerate. There are symptoms related to brain cell degeneration, which includes memory loss, lack of communication and understanding, and the inability to make correct decisions.

Ayurveda recommends rejuvenating therapies to help fulfill our cherished human desire of living a healthy life for 100 years. Rejuvenating therapies help maintain healthy brain function which includes the five senses. Ayurveda suggests a unique approach of diet and nutrients to decelerate the aging of brain and nerves. There are certain Ayurvedic herbal supplements that help rejuvenate and slow the degenerative changes of the aging brain and nervous system.

Herbal Supplements for Brain Health

  1. Brahmi Capsules
  2. Brahma Rasayana
  3. Ashwagandha Churnam
  4. Brahmi Oil
  5. Kshirabala Oil
  6. Saraswata Arishtam
  7. Manasamitra Vatakam

If you have any questions about Kottakkal products, please contact

Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and information are not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure, or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute, or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the advice of a trained Ayurvedic professional, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at We will provide you with information to consult with Ayurvedic professionals. Always check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.


Kottakkal Support

Vaidya Vishwanath grew up in Pune, India which is hub of traditional Ayurvedic gurukul teachings, following the principles of Ayurveda as part of his culture. He has dedicated his career over the past 1 ½ decades to the science of Ayurveda.

Also in Healing with Kottakkal Ayurveda

Arishtams and Asavams: Fermented Herbal Liquids
Arishtams and Asavams: Fermented Herbal Liquids

by Kottakkal Support September 14, 2023

Arishtams and Asavams are medicinal herbs processed by fermentation. The process of making an Arishtam or Asavam is lengthy and begins by boiling dried herbs in water to extract the medicinal qualities of the herbs. This is called an herbal decoction.

Read More

Bhasma: An Ancient Ayurvedic Nanomedicine

by Kottakkal Support September 07, 2023

Ayurveda, as well as other systems of Indian medicine use metals and minerals to support healing. The use of metals for healing is also amply described in Chinese and Egyptian medicines as far back as 2500 B.C.. Bhasmas are unique to Ayurveda and the use of metal and mineral preparations have been documented since the 7th century A.D.

Read More

Ghritams: Herbal Ghees
Ghritams: Herbal Ghees

by Kottakkal Support September 01, 2023

The Ayurvedic text lists four types of fats with medicinal healing qualities. They are ghritam (ghee), oil (sesame), vasa (muscle), and majja (marrow). Each one has its own unique properties, however ghritam has several special qualities that are unmatched. Ghritam will maintain its own healing qualities even when combined with herbs with different qualities.

Read More